Sunday, July 10, 2011

on #2 in a pool, caves, yogi and honeymoon

In the blogs I try not to mention work as much as possible but some things cannot be avoided.

In short, after over a year of thinking about it, I technically resigned. Now that Alla has completed her test and can find a job, it’s a golden opportunity to travel and after that we both find new jobs.

 

Well, enough about work…

 

So I am at my favorite blogging spots, the airport, in new York this time headed for Copenhagen for 27 days of overpriced but lovely Scandinavia.

 

Today is our 13th month anniversary , and since this is our first vacation together (just us), it is now the honeymoon. The rule is that if we encounter anyone we know on the trip, this means we did not travel alone and the honeymoon is postponed to a later trip.

 

On the last 2 hectic weeks we hustled to book flight and rule out alternative destinations for reasons of weather, visa requirement, politic unrest or need for immunizations , in the end we decided Scandinavia.

 

To make an expensive place cheaper, we plan to camp and tent as much as possible, so we are slumming it.

To start our honey moon, one of us (not me) has left the wedding ring at home, and on the 1st leg on the trip, we sat in separate seats (2 middle seas on different sides of the plane), so it has been romantic so far J.

But we are together for the rest.

 

Recent events,

 

Last weekend was a long weekend so we added another state by visiting Mammoth caves in Kentucky.

I assumed it will be a huge cave (hence the name) but we took a more extreme tour, intro to caving, which took us in a small entrance, then we walked down for 100 meters and started crawling over, under and through smaller caves and crevices. They thought us the rules of caving, how not to die (follow the rules), how the caves feels in the dark, we seen some underground wild life (beetles and crickets) and were protected by coveralls, helmet and knee pads for the intensive crawling. A fun and different 3 hours tour.

 

For the rest of the weekend we stayed in Jelly stone park, this park is the Yogi bear park, there are others like I, it’s a chain, but it’s fun for the kids (we went with my Brother yaron and family and Alla’s sisters and parents).

We cooked out, stayed in cabins and had fun bonding time.

Next to the cave they have a small dinosaur park with interesting but lame displays; the color blue does not seem real on any skin of an animal, but I couldn’t help myself taking lots of photos, and climbing on top of a baby mammoth and inside the T-Rex mouth; if I can act stupid I would (and I should, it’s fun).

We also went to an alpine slide and watch the kids to the bumping boats. I felt this is my first dad experience watching my nephew ride and me staying on the side, a most shocking revelation, what’s the fun in sitting on the side?

 

One afternoon we went to a nearby lake, enjoyed the warm water of the lake and jumped in from a nearby rock.

 

The pool in the camp was a place I didn’t go in to; a sign In the front of the pool says “welcome to our ool, notice there is no pee, try to keep it that way”, does not help.

After Elion , age 3 said he doesn’t need to go to the bathroom because he already went, I stayed out. The next pool day Elion was caught by his mom in the middle of #2 in the pool and yanked him out for a memorable cleaning experience. Bottom line, stay away from that pool.

 

We drove back Monday and avoided the too many cops on the road and went back to trip planning.

 

Some years back, I tried to buy tickets to “les miserable” in new York, they misunderstood what I said (I have no idea how that happened…) and got rent instead (hated it). Yesterday I finally got to see the show. It was a high school aged cast in some acting club. We went since a son of our neighbor was in the play. This shows was close to 3 hours and its surprising since all the cast are kids, but the level was good and we enjoyed ourselves very much.

 

We also learned a new distant cousin of bridge card game with a new couple we started hanging out with (Farm boy and aggressive, nick names can be changed without warning).

 

We also continued our culture experience by going to another acting club with my niece Maya (age 10). This wasn’t a play, but small scenes from other plays or original scenes, we watched Maya’s 2 scenes including one when she talks to a cave girl who does nothing but grunt.

 

So that’s it , nothing major to report, knowing me, the next month will be blog packed and more details on each place the closer I am to the event.

 

Cheers and if you see us in Scandinavia, decide for yourself if you want us to postpone the honey moon (just another reason to travelJ.

 

 

 

 

No comments: