Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wild turkey and the long lost marsh

strange day today, one of those beautifully sunny and cold at the same time, perfect weather for hiking and the last orienteering event of the season.
as usual , I posted the event on the meetup website, 10 people came and wanted to go in sub groups which is great since I got to do it alone.

this event is a score style. usually if you never tried the sport , you have to find certain check marks in order. in a score you have lots of points scattered  around with more points for the further away points are those harder to find or harder to get to. well today it was a score with all points being of equal value (winner is the one who get the most points) but just before the launch they added a twist of certain points (at random) have a bonus, the 1st to get to those gets a few more points; the course is kind of a figure 8 and you (unless you run fast) have time for 1 loop. so I thought i was clever by going on one loop against the logical path, which means i can get to certain points first, not by running faster (I wish i could do that) but by running further out.

they launched the race and people ran to various directions, each with their own plan, I tried to out race some guy to my first check point, but he got their first, but this point had no bonus, and then we each went our separate ways. my next point was next to a marsh and I couldn't find it, i got a bit lost and tried and tried to re-find my way, i reached the other side of the wood and knew where I was, I ran down a steep hill to squires castle parking lot and made my way to the next point, almost slipping several times on the wet grass and almost losing my shoes in the mud. I saw the next point and had to climb up a steep slope and found the point without bonus. the next one was only a 100 meters away, but you had to go down the slope, slide a few times, go between branches, slide some more, then go up and eureka a point with the little pin bonus, so my tactics pays off:) but that area is awful, for the next point I had to walk a lot on the slope, and slipping often and tangling branches, but i was rewarded with another bonus point, then walk up to peak and surprised a pack of wild turkeys, so cute, they ran away fast and i stared at them catching my breath. the next point was a bonus as well for my 3rd and last bonus. but at this point i was breathing hard and my muscles were aching. the next 2 points were on either side of a steep ravine, I totally missed the mark, but still i went down the ravine and up the other side, slipping a lot, falling on my face knowing whatever wind i had left out of me, using branches to climb up, it was so hard, I reached the top and saw a point far away and slowly made my where there, and to my surprise it was the same point I missed in the beginning. i happily marked it (no bonus) then i remembered that it was supposed to be next to a marsh, i looked around and didn't see any, then I took a few steps and realized where the marsh was, I was in it. it was easy to identify the marsh now since my ankles were deep in the cold water. just my luck, so for the next 30 minutes, not just muddy all over but with wet feet i ran for a few easier points, then reach another super steep ravine and went down on my back side, slid down , legs forward, it was really fun, but i knew I had to climb the other side, I walked in the creek, then began climbing out, I had to hurry since the end time was approaching. at the same time, other families were running the easy basic white course, so they happened to be in this creek at the same time, and one of the kids, perhaps age 3-4 was climbing this slope and couldn't make it, i helped the kid up and couldn't believe he was climbing alone, that angle was impossible, i had to use branches and trees again just to haul my self up there. I found two last points and made it to the finish line with 2 minutes to spare. I was exhausted. I drank water and just stood there trying to regain my breath for 10 minutes or so and checking my scores against other runners, I passed some runners who are good, but I already know others beat me, I will know my result in a week or two (well I know mine but not the result of others) . still it was a fun challenge , to do, even though now 10 hours later my muscles are still feeling the strain and my lungs as well.

tomorrow is Halloween, an experience I have yet to experience, so expect something in your mail box soon on that!
cheers from the slippery slopes of the beautiful north chagrin reservation


No comments: