Sunday, June 15, 2014

a day in brussles

A day in brussles

 

I boarded the plan in Cleveland with a back pack and a baby seat in a big bag as a trolley, not a heavy thing, just bulky. The 1st leg was fine at plane side check in, but on the large plane, no one said anything as I put it on the plane, but then it wouldn't fit. Unfortunately I had to check the baby seat all the way to my final destination and I am so glad! It would have been a pain to lug that thing around.

 

Now I was free to roam Brussels for 3.5 hours. I preplanned my route to hit maximum number of sites, since the city center is not that large. I've been to Brussels years ago for a few hours and didn't plan and had not real good memories of the place. But I am more prepared now. Still, the 1st impressions were not great, nice quite city but nothing extra ordinary, its Sunday morning and the city is quite empty, but I go site to site and take photos of many interesting statues or carvings and finally hit the grand palace area and things get lively. Small streets, sidewalks that make me look down or risk a sprain, lots of restaurants, lots of tourists, lots and lots of chocolate places, and thieves. There is a sign on the cathedral entrance that thieves operate in and out of the place, I wonder if they mean the priests?

It's a nice sunny day and I stop in the gallery for refueling of crepe with bananas and chocolate and hot chocolate la maison and get chocolate for desert… (free treat). Now energized I get to the world wonder. I have a new book of 100 world wonder and the grand palace is one of them. I need to see if there was no bribe to get this place in! it is nice, but a world wonder, I am not so sure. Si keep walking and pass more small cathedrals, squares, statues, many of the statues are of lions, some roar, some cower and some just stand proud. I reach the peeing boy status and take a peeing on me selfie, a must I think, get a chocolate sample at Leonidas and later a very yummy ice cream at a small market I happen to pass by.

I make it on time to the airport and wish I left later to reach one more random square.

 

Over all, efficient use of time, in a good city center, but I wouldn't rate it on my top 10 European cities. Something is missing, the place is pretty but the charm is not there.

 

World wonder- check

Ice cream and chocolate – check

Been peed on – check

Not being robbed – check

Flight to Israel in one hour

 

photos coming...

No comments: