Friday, September 11, 2009

a radish is not a young communist

No gambling on the train, please advise that gambling on the train is against the law (unlawful if you will)

I was so bummed out when I heard that, I was just about to open my back pack and extract my folding black jack table, dress as a bookie and start playing 21 with the other passengers on the train. Now I had to fold the table back to my pouch.

Just so you understand, the orange line of the Chicago transit authority rides from the air port till down town and back- no more than 20 minutes each way, so I don’t understand who gambles on a train?

Especially in a windy city (wind knocks the cards upside down). I was there for a test, I think I did ok, I never quite know with these tests.

 

I have become the man of the house as of late, cooking, washing dishes, cooking some more and waiting for my bread provider to come home from those 12 hours shifts at the drug factory.

At the giant evil, my local supermarket I found tehina  in a can! Imported from Israel, a brand I never knew before and decided to give it a go. I took that and added some olive oil then cooked some lamb meat with secret spices (the only spices I posses are chili powder, wasabi, garlic power and Hungarian paprika , so draw your own conclusion on the secret) and mixed them together to create my first Siniia (a Lebanese yummy dish) and it turned out great. I made another dish since then and both were devoured, and now they will be made for a larger crowed on Rosh Hashanah at Inna’s.

 

No Siniia today, but I made my first ever Garlic mashed potatoes from a recipe I found online slightly modified (see above secret spices for details). Few more versions of corn less chili gili with various beans and barbeque sauce, which turned out great and devoured as well.

Mazabricht with bread instead of maza and I managed to make a decent poached egg!! Never tried it before after watching Julia and Julia, which is a good film, interesting and gives cooking ideas(and blogging ideas) I would give it an 8.7 on the cooking scale and an Oscar for Merrill strip (not sure who is the competition). I never really knew who Julia Childs was, so I figured I will not enjoy it very much, but I was happily surprised (if you loved Martha’s kitchen – the original German version) it’s a must.

 

Let’s see, of course I made few rice attempts with various spices (see secret above), potatoes, chicken, tomato soup (the original) and pasta.

I told you the man of the house!

 

After starting to get used to eating peas (a remarkable achievement on my part- not that I like it, it simply has no taste so it doesn’t bother me) and egg salad, fish and even celery (in cream soup) I must be out of my taste bud.

 

Tonight’s meal has just been completely devoured by my pharmacuty and I, on the menu tomorrow, mystery meat in an unknown recipe.

 

Oh, we are back from Alaska.

 

Since the last entry on the road to anchorage, we stopped at a Marsh land area and walked on the board walk and saw various water birds, and still missed the beaver, we had dinner at a local place that had an open mike. Never been to such an evening, good music , but we didn’t really experience it since we sat on the other side (full place) and didn’t sense the vibe. The next morning we returned the car and had a good by eggs Benedict and headed for the airport.

 

At the airport they had the cutest security video. Usually they are boring and you don’t look, but these paliners re different.

A man in a beaver suit comes to the checkpoint and they show him how to place the shoes on the conveyor belt, than a bear comes with a big jar of honey – the honey being liquid cannot pass and the gourd turns the bear away and he comes back with a tube sized honey and allowed entry. So cute. The eagle is next and shows his ID and poses as well, he tries to pass a weapon (some kind of knife the natives use to cut seals, this item is sold in any souvenir shop in Alaska ; surprising, we didn’t get it), the weapon is denied. I forget what was the 4th animal- but I was laughing hard from it, love originality, and from a government agency, that is the last thing you would expect.

 

Back to the kitchen, I started to make salads- cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, don’t worry, these are not for me, hell would freeze over, turn in to a glacier, and melt before I enjoy a tomato. Alla has a personality flaw which is tomato liking so I am improving my radish cutting skills.

 

If you are looking for entertainment , ‘inglorious bastards’ is the Nazi killing flick for you- we all enjoyed it, even though Tarantino had to remind us that he was Tarantino at the end. Brad pit acts well as always and the Nazi colonel acts well too, never knew his name. this is not a regular Nazi movie. Achtung and Go see now

 

I have started retraining for my 20k race- this time its in Vegas, hoping I want reinjure myself and actually complete the race, which me luck and 1500$ more in donations that I have to raise….

 

Cheers and see ya at the finish line

 

Oh check out this link to the Denali fox… the 1st 12 secs show nothing, but then the fox is in zoom , enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3HRiuv2R2I

 

 

 

No comments: