Tuesday, August 31, 2010

the other INNquisition

You probably seen movies or heard stories about the various tortures of the inquisition, well it continues today.

Imagine a large metal device with ropes attached to it, they place you on an unstable pink ball, tell you to maintain 1 leg in the air, while being tied to the metal device and having to pull down on the ropes.

Or they lay you down on the floor and tie your leg to the same metal device and pulling on it.

Other instruments of torture include standing on something very unstable, on one leg while bouncing a heavy ball on a leaning trampoline, walking the “monster walk” while your legs are bound together.

 

But apparently they call this innquistion physical therapy

The more astonishing issue is that its working

Its 6 weeks after my surgery and I am finally walking normal, the limp is gone, crutches are gone, chest pains are gone, calf pains are gone, things are looking better, though my activities are forever limited, which is still kind of depressing, need to completely change my goals.

Last year I aspired to do a triathlon, after the half marathon , but that plan is out.

So goal for next summer is a long bike race, and perhaps a long swim (though I am not allowed to do breast stroke yet)- will see what will be allowed and what not, hoping orienteering is still ok (next year)- I will have to consider my options when winter ends, till then keep doing the self torture… it’s not as bad as described above, it’s actually very creative, the usage of random devices to get you body to do a certain ‘good for you’ movement instead of other ‘bad for me’ moves.

Thanks Inna for getting me back on my feet.

 

Last weekend Alec (my brother’s in law father…does that make him my father in law? Probably not) well had his 70th birthday and it was held at the Russian room.

I heard about this party room before but never been here, I was kind of suspicious about food, here I always find something to eat that I like, in the beginning I would find 1 item and stick to that, but since then, I think the family has modified their menus for simpler stuff (thanks all for that) so it’s better for me. But this was an authentic Russian cuisine, but I was happily surprised, at least 5 things that I liked a lot, must be a record.

It was a fun event, lots of speeches, live Russian band, dancing. I danced as well, which I didn’t think I would so fast, and it felt great. True I was mostly standing on my strong leg, but still, dancing is dancing.

 

The weekend before we went to a Romanian festival. There are lots of local festivals here by the various communities, each does its own thing. We tried some Mamaliga(didn’t like it), Romanian kabobs, and some other delicacies. There were also life Romanian bands (from Romania!) with some nice live Falk music and the people danced (we didn’t), we didn’t stay long but it was a fun lively event. I am half Romanian , but didn’t recognize the music, the other half of me is polish, the polish festival is coming up within a month, will see if the pirugy is any good.

 

 

Well that’s it, nothing interesting lately, started going to the gym , with the limited activities I can do, but so far the 9 day hospital stay and the diet after that resulted in loss of 10lbs J and the way down continues, so nothing in life is all bad.

 

I hope to resume more fun activities soon, labor day activities are coming up (including genesis and led zeppelin cover bands), we’ll see what we’ll do

 

cheers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: