Saturday, February 2, 2013

on tackle the groundhogging

on this snowy and cold morning, instead of sleeping in, I headed down town. this is groundhogs day- and I sill have not heard if Phil saw its shadow or not. I was hoping to go this year but I have a presentation and test next week, and all cannot drive me there, to allow me to study in the car (cause she's working). well, need to better plan for next year. so instead, I went to the other event that happens on this day annually, tackle the tower. they have it in many cities, pick some tall building and run to the top. I always assumed it was the terminal tower, or the key tower, the highest in Ohio, so naturally i parked next to it, but saw no crowds. it's minus 9 Celsius out side right now, not good weather for just wondering around looking for the location, but that is what i did, key tower was closed, terminal seemed empty, so i finally looked at the web site that pointed me to the other side of down town (lucky its not big) and reach the galleria building, only 38 floors. but I was here, so might as well, check this item off the list. paid, put on the race shirt with too many sponsors on the back, saw the super hero green lantern (i think it was him, or more likely, some guy wearing his custom), Ronald McDonald was also there, but he is not a super hero, just a guy promoting fat. there was no coat check, so i went up with a bag that held my sweatshirt, camera, coat, watter. i really should prepare for these better, i start walking up and regret the whole thing right away, I don't know why stairs are so much harder then running or elliptical- i did 8.5 miles the previous night on the elliptical ans was not winded, but after 1 flight of stairs i feel like quitting. they divided it to a runners stair case and a walker stair case- to prevent trampling, i pass some people, catch my break, drink some water while the people i passed, pass me, and this cycle continues to the top, at time passes , i stop more frequently but for shorter periods and reach the top in 13:29 , personal best (well, since this is my 1st any result would be best). just for comparison , the winner last year did it in 4 minutes, the best result under age 10 was around 7. they also have a firefighter race- same thing just in full fire fighter gear, the heavy clothes, the oxygen tank and hat- their best time was 7 minutes.
i just had my natural baggage and my nylon bag. next year will try to do better - i can probably knock off 2 minute just by not stopping. just compared my time to last years result- i would rank about 800th out of 900 runners.
 
about 3 weeks ago I finally used a groupon and took a fencing lesson. I know little of real fencing, just what they show on the Olympics, but I definitely like movies with sword fighting. I drive after work to somewhere on the west side and i can't find the building, no house numbers (its a general problem in Cleveland for big buildings), i find house numbers close on either side , and assume i found the right one, it has a small inner parking lot with a basket ball, but no sign pointing to the fencing school. its dark out and i think i need a sword in case someone tries to mug me. finally someone comes, with irregular shoes- and they show me the way. climbing only 3 flights of stairs to a big parquet floor loft.
 
the 1st thing i learn is that this is not sword fighting, no gigantic movements, fancy twirls and holding the sword with both hands shouting in the name of whatever... or my name is Inigo Montoya , you killed my father, prepare to die. instead, its quick delicate movements, I assume the position, one leg in front of the other back 90 degree angle and after one minute of just foot work, back, advance, back advance , i begin to feel my thigh muscles, already!!!! fudge, this will hurt later, after a couple more minutes of foot work i am given the sword, its of the thin type meant for stabbing, not the movie swords. now i repeat the foot work with the sword and jab when the teacher tells me, i jab him btw, and still somehow try not to jab too hard to wound him, he doesn't seem too feel it, the practice continues and i learn several moves. this is just like dancing, i can do the foot work, i can do the hand work, but i can't really do them both at the same time. the next practice is sword vs tennis ball. i have to hit the ball in motion, while maintaining foot work, need more work on this, but i do whack the ball, now the teacher holds a swords as well, and its 50 cm from my eyes, or feels like it and its a rush! so i have to move back and forth and lunge a head while try not to stare at the sabre in front of me, not trivial, it spikes my adrenalin.
after another 30 minutes of breathless back and forth, lunge , back, and few more moves i rest and suit up in gear, not the full thing, but close enough, the suit, the under armor, the glove mask and sword and face a veteran student for my first real fight. i try to focus on what i was taught, defend, then attack, I block her shot, and before i am half way trough my lung, she recovers and strikes. I am too slow! and the sword hits my thigh which is in protected, it hurts for a split second and no more, but i try to be more cautious , focus on defence, and on occasion, strike, i am hit a few more times, and finally at some move i manage to strike my self, but i am sure she let me have one. this is a really fun sport which i want to find a way to fit to the schedule and only if i can do a lesson and not suffer from thigh pains for 3 days like i did now.
 
 
cheers from the tower
happy ground's hog day

No comments: