Monday, January 12, 2009

pod poeple

 

Some times last year, while traveling to the national parks in the west- I bought a year pass- it is cheaper this way- and I was planning on using it often, since I travel so much.

The problem is that most of the national parks are in the west, and Cleveland is east. Cleveland itself has a lovely national park- which is free- so I don’t get to use my card.

The destination of the day was the Arch of saint Louis – which is ‘the gate way to the west’. So we walk under it – and discover that this whole structure is a national park- and where is my card, obviously not here…

The 1st night in saint Louis was warm- and I slept with an open window – a rare treat for me- since I like it open 24 X 7 X 364 (closed for cleaning once a year)- and I can’t do that here in the winter- something is wrong with the air out side- too cold…

So back to the treat- but the next day was cold again- few drops of snow- nothing that accumulates- so we got to the arch

And paid… then up the elevator- usually – an elevator is not an unusual experience – a tall building has a fast elevator – you go up an exit… but an arch is more complex- being shaped, like an arch- so for some reason- the elevator , can’t just go up- so it goes up, sideways, up again and so forth till the top. The elevator is more like a train- with 8 pods- each pod can barely fit 5 people (it has 5 small chairs) let alone 5 adults and 3 kids. So we ducked and entered to this tight space and a claustrophobic discussion began- one of them (me) at some point recorded the conversation – which will be posted shortly on a you-tube near you- the discussion contains stories of being stuck in elevator- so in a way it is another flash back of a flashback.

So we exited our pod and saw some saint Louis views- not the best- since it was a foggy day.

I asked if we can walk down- since it is more memorable – and was denied- ‘security ,measures…’ I have it recorded on camera

So we got back to the pod and went down- and I took my nieces to the museum of the arch- where we seen a bear, a buffalo, cowboy, Indians, tipi and a full sized figure of Clark (from Louis and Clark- the famous explorer of the west, who started their journey from this very spot- not those from superman- oh the bear and buffalo were stuffed, not living- this is a museum , not a zoo) so Clark explains about life in the old west- and says –this….- as my 2.5 year old niece described when as asked about it “the, ah, the, ah ,the man was speaking”- so now you know what he said.

 

Just a few days ago, I was studding(instead, probably working or blogging) in the math room in a local university here- don’t worry, I haven’t started another degree – this is where alla like to study when in Cleveland- since it is the math room- no one comes in.

So we finished after midnight and considered going home- but nature called on our cell and we had to stop- I remember one of the doors to the room (there are 2) was locked- and I was worried that the other one might close- my assumptions were dismissed- and not 20 seconds passed and we were locked out of the room- with keys, bags, lap top inside.

So we went looking for someone to open- we searched the building which is creepy at midnight with those long corridors

No one was found- we stumbled upon a piano- and Alla played a song- and wanted to teach me some- but I explained about (flash back music)

The year was 1983 +- and I was in yavniel with friends of the family for a week in the summer- while my parents were abroad- they had a piano and tried to teach me ‘yonatan hakatan’ a very easy and basic kids song- I was unable to pass the 6th note – very frustrated- I never learned any musical instrument- and whenever I tried on a piano – I tried that song, and no luck---- flash back music fades…

So turning down Alla’s offer we walked over to the main gate, found the gourd, who let us back in to get our stuff- the main door gourd was very observant – as I parked the car (I had my keys, Alla’s were locked)  next to the gate- trying to make her notice, then flashed the head lights a bunch of times, waved my hands- no luck-  she was reading a book (probably a security gourd training book) and was not aware- so I got out, and knocked on the glass- only then till she paid attention- she got the gourds and (I wrote is 3 lines above- got our stuff)- lucky she was observant- since Alla does not study in that school and neither do I- just breaking and entering…Alla said its allowed, I am not convinced

Why do I mention this now- since my nieces got a piano book. It’s a book of kids songs, and instead of notes you have numbers- which are marked on a little piano attached to the book. One of the songs was my impossible 7th note song- so now I tried it again.

And though no yet Richard kliderman – I somehow managed to pass the 7th note and make it to the end(this is a 3 line song….) – don’t ask me to repeat this achievement, the book is with my nieces- and I want try again without kid’s level colored piano keys.

 

So today we went to the movies- you know what I feel on kids movies- taking the kids is just an excuse – ‘bed time stories’ was more for us then for them (but we didn’t know before) they enjoyed it, but we more- they have the most adorable Guiney pig.

Then I needed calories so I stopped at a DQ in the mall for a blizzard(it’s warm inside) – they let you mix flavors to create your blizzard(like a mcfloury – only not by McDonald- so better!) – I try ‘Georgia fudge’ with Oreos- and I get- 2 drinks – one of each- this is what happens when you have workers from another country-this guy was from the Asian native America- so he got it wrong- when I corrected him- without a thought he went back to make a 3rd one. I couldn’t let him make another – so I took the Georgia one – which was OK, but missed something (probably Oreos)

So Amit my niece joins in to help me finish it- she likes it and wants more- so you tell me, how am I suppose to go back to the guy and ask for another one? He will deport himself

 

 

 

No comments: