Saturday, October 3, 2009

its all because of the wild boar

I fasted this week, I say it again since they were doubters, yes I need to diet, but I can survive a day without food. We had a great post fast meal at Alla’s mom and later showed our Alaska highlights movie- part one, the early days.

Why did I fast again the same week? Not 25 hours , only 16.

I need to pass a physical for my green card application, so we made an appointment at 1 pm, the day before they call and say that I have to fast for 12 hours (Kippur was Sunday, this was on Tuesday)- so quite a shocking week for my stomach. Had I known I had to fast I would have scheduled for the morning.

So I fasted again, and somewhat hungry I came to the doctor’s office before the scheduled time and filled out some paper work, than hungrily waited for the doc, half an hour in the waiting room, why do they call it the waiting room (check old Seinfeld episodes for the answer). The doc was nice and thorough , but also violated me in ways I don’t want to divulge( it’s a physical).

Then I went to the lab to give a blood sample, and all the lab stuff. I also got a flu shot. Right after I wolfed down a couple of sandwiches.

 

So after fasting 1 and ¾ of a day you would think my Karma would be good and indeed a day later I am notified that I may be traveling to some non capital major European city for work. The good thing about it is the timing. Since my mom, Moti , shai and Michal are travelling to Switzerland and Italy next week, I already had a weekend planned to join them, I don’t get to see my brother and sister very often so I was looking forward for that.

I had to mass it up…

On Friday we had lunch at a very good Thai place, the peppermint Thai. I tried some out of the ordinary(for me) dishes before there and liked every single one. This time I tried wild boar with rice and some irregular vegetables. The boar in some peanut sauces was very well done. Never ate a boar before. Unfortunately the boar is a more impressive form of pig, which I believe to be a non kosher animal.

Apparently a boar is stronger than my 1.75 fasting days.  because a few hours later (even god has processing time, being the holidays and all)  I find out about 3 more forms I have to fill for the INS ( I hate paper work) and a minute later my euro trip was cancelled. In short, more work and less play.

 

As the old man in the Simpsons said after a laser hit his eye “my cataracts are gone, I can see all the colors of the rainbow, then the laser hits again, and his sight goes away  and he says, well “easy come ,easy go”

 

So now a day later the forms are filled and we will going to inna’s suka later today. The only questions is to make another sinya or red velvet cake?

 

p.s irregular vegetables include string beans (tried them for the 1st time, to stringy but edible with peanut sauce), some form of egg plant (did not even consider trying it) pees (getting used to them)

regular vegetables include red and green pepper (which I usually dislike in any form but fresh, but they were good in the Thai place)

p.s2 – we asked if you say SAAATTAI or SaiiiiiTaiiiii (the Thai chicken on a stick) but its Saaaaateiiiiii

 

cheers a happy Sukot

 

 

 

No comments: