Sunday, October 18, 2009

a little bit Endurance

Last weekend I went on a dreary morning for edge water park for my weekly training run.

We arrived at this place because it was the final hour of a national championship event.

A 24 hours endurance run.

Crazy people of all races, genders and ages run nonstop for 24 hours, I shit you not. We came at 8:30  and people were running, not just slugging along, their pace after 24 hours is still faster than my single lap speed. Top runners pass 140 miles. Winners from this race are going to the Olympics, so we have seen Olympians and world record holders. One of the runners was an 80 year old guy, who also ran nonstop, this was more than incredible. When their run ended at 9am, all the runners dropped and began to make sounds of people who just run 24 hours make, but they recovered fast enough. Then our group began running on the same tracks, this was a .92 mile loop (they ran this same loop nonstop, I would die of boredom) for an hour and fifteen minutes (the run is longer and longer week after week). When the run ended, I was just finishing 10k YEH, first time since the injury. But lots of cramps. And next I did something I should not have done and went orienteering. It was a 7k course in the lovely woods of cleveland. In orienteering the course is what they say if you go straight from point to point. I don’t do that, since I like to avoid trees, brush, and hills- so its longer, not sure by how much, but 4 hours later (unusually long this time) we finished the course, found everything , but my legs were in bed shape. Later that evening, I was reading on the pooch when I got a bad cramp in one leg, the kind you get some time in the night after too much exercise. I began messaging my leg and trying to undo this pain, then the other leg cramped, first the quad, then a few seconds later the calf. So I couldn’t move and was in quite a bit of pain. Now when you have a cramp in the thigh, your kind of want to bend your leg, and for a cramp calf, you want to straighten it to release the cramp. But when you have both, man you are screwed. I was with both my leg half bent, messaging hard, each movement , no matter how small gave me more and more pain from the perspective muscels. After a time which felt like forever but must have been 5 minutes the pain went away. I was limping for 3 days after that.

Week after there was suppose to be a 10 k race, and us fund raising runners were suppose to participate as a practice run. I left early, but to the wrong place (there was a marathon also, and 2 launch sites) and I went to the wrong one, by the time I manage to get in, the race has begun and I missed it. Which was a good thing, since I was hiking the day before at Chardon area (photos soon) and the leaves are amazing. We did 7 miles walk, which is a lot but not too much. So 2 heavy events would cause cramps so lucky that I missed it.

Few hours after my missed run, I went to a scavenger hunt. I do love my hunts. This one was different. We went to case western, a local university with a big campus. And the hunt was to find pieces of information about certain building; like find some specific sculpture and write who built it, this kind of mission. But there were many of them in a short time. The cleveland art museum is right there and we had to track specific works of art. We kind of snuck in the museum, even though I am a paid member, we still actually just walked in. we visited the botanical gardens, various shops and at the end we had to drink a double shot espresso. As you know, I hate coffee in any form, shape or maker( don’t even like mocha) so that was a bad bad bad tasting drink from star bucks. I was wise to get a chaser (a big glass of hot chocolate) which was good, but did not totally diffuse the coffee taste. I didn’t know case western very well, but others in my team did and we hustled and got many missions completed, I was sure we won, but came a close second.

 

Last night we went country line dancing. I did line dancing before in Israel, but not country style. It was always hard for me, I am losing the rhythm very quickly and its difficult for me to keep up, but it is still fun. But last night was advanced. They move so gracefully and they turn so many times and fast. I was out of my league. We did have fun, the music was good. I knew some of the oldies songs, but only 1 dance (electric slide) which I danced here, but to the music of latino’s. need to improve on the dancing part for June.

 

Feeling like a pin cushion lately. After my physical we went to the immigration doctor, who so me for maybe a minute, then I got another shot of tetanus. My last shot was 3-4 years ago after being hit in a head by some ugly brute on the side lines of my last rugby match. So now I have so many antibodies in me, that my shadow is immune to tetanus.

I an hour I will go get the results of my TB test. I seem to have no TB which is good, after that all the green card paper work and tests are done….finaly……. now we submit (after the cruise) and wait patiently.

 

Results of my last school exam came with a 79 in my business strategy course, and just like the biology degree, I seem to be able to get many 79s, not sure how this happens, but I had many courses with this result. Now I am taking accounting and financing, both tedious , and difficult course.

 

Today was another weekly run. 2 days ago I ran/walked 5 miles at the gym and I wasn’t sure I was ready for today. It was a cold morning, so I ran with my work gloves and something which is not a hat that covers the ears. I guess I was ready after all. Ran 2 miles, walked 0.5 till I got to a much needed sudden nature break. Then ran 5 miles more…. My longest straight run since the injury and my longest ever weekly run. 12k!. this morning I was finally feeling like I can actually complete the Vegas half marathon in December. Just have to make sure I will not injure myself. Next week 8.5 miles…(13.6k).

 

Got to go soon, also getting a much needed hair cut. need to look good for the weddingJ

 

More updates as soon as I can write them, cheers

 

 

 

 

No comments: