Thursday, October 22, 2009

welcome to chicago - where its always sunny, or into the mist

After the 12k last weekend, I was actually stupid enough to go for night orienteering at kandell lake. Last year I sent the most beautiful shots from the lake, the trees in all the colors of the fall, reflecting on the lake with a clear blue sky. That was before a night orienteering event as well. this time was different.

Cloudy skies hid the sun and the lake is gone!!!

How can you make a lake disappear?. There was a damn on the lake, for some unknown reason they opened it and let the water drain, leaving nothing but mud and a small puddle of water, so no reflection this year, too bed. But still, I had my event. 2 others joined me this time and we left quickly and ran large parts of the way. I was surprised that I could still run. This course was short and easy and we were done in 46 minutes which may be my first ever win in orienteering, it’s about time… still no results at this time. Then drove to the west side for a night of karaoke. Intern decided to stay home and study. I sang “ironic” and “mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm” by the crash test dummies and managed to forget my debit card at the bar (had a sandwich….), this reminds me that I have to call them to get it back.

 

The next day went on a hike that wasn’t long by distance 9k but took a long time, 3 hours, we walked fast, so I guess the distance meter was wrong…or we walked slow. Though it was an easy hike, the combination of exercise this weekend was felt the next day. I also enjoyed watching terminal with tom hanks. Such a good movie, and Hanks makes the story believable. I would give him an Oscar, though I don’t think it did.

Finished a book lately Brisinger, which is the last book of a trilogy , started with Eragon (which was turned to a movie few years ago). I like the series, but the problem was that at the end of the 3rd book, the series didn’t end… so the trilogy became a cycle, hoping the 4th is the last, and want be like the wheel of time series, with 14 books that I was reading (as they came out) for more than a decade, and then the selfish author dies….what a nerve.

 

From cloudy cleveland I left this week for sunny Missouri.  At least it was sunny on Monday when we got there. I was traveling with my colleague happy camper. The week went well except the swine flu that hit this little town. With few wards of the hospital closed for quarantine, being there was unpleasant, and discussions on the vaccine were frequent- questions like- is this a government conspiracy? Is the vaccine safe etc…

On the drive to the hotel we spotted a large variety of wild life including: deer, raccoons, possums who decided to check my breaks and luckily survived, some nocturnal bird, perhaps an owl, Geese, a fox all the previous were alive and many more specimens of each dead on the side of the road (including a coyote, who wasn’t Wyle, if it did, it would still be alive). The roads in this area are in good condition but very narrow, and curvy since this area is hilly. Driving here at night, in the rain (came on Tuesday and never left)  was slow. And happy camper kept commenting on the way I drive but refusing to drive herself.

 

Like my last visit here I also chose a beetle, much to the annoyance of happy, who likes the comfort  of the bigger cars. I was thinking on the environment , we will see what we rent next time, mini cooper or SUV.

 

Now I am at Chicago airport waiting for my flight home to intern. I fell asleep on the plane as soon as it left the gate and woke up to see nothing but white. It was an impressive site of nothingness. There was nothing but white. I couldn’t even see a single cloud, it’s like we were flying in the mist. A picture of that would make the world hardest puzzle.

When we landed at rainy Chicago, the steward made the comment that appears in the subject line, their comments always make me laugh.

 

That’s it for now

8,5 miles this weekend, home work in finance and another hike are the main weekend plans

 

Cheers and way to go hapoel…

 

 

 

No comments: