Monday, July 5, 2010

road trip

A weird phenomena I notice here, when locals make a right turn, the street they turn on has 2 lanes, I am used to people turning to the near lane, this way you don’t grab both lanes while you turn, but here, they always turn to the far lane, not sure what’s the point of that, perhaps it’s an easier curve, well just an observation.

 

This will be my 4th fourth of July in the US (1st when I was 13, a Florida trip) and I never celebrated it in Cleveland, this year it not different; road trip.

We are headed to new Hampshire (#state 33) to climb mt Washington, the highest peak in the north east of the US. The Hermon is higher than this one, but it’s not close by.

So right now we are in east upstate new York. We left yesterday around 4 and hi horrible holiday traffic right away, some accident, took us over an hour and a half to drive 17 miles. That is always bad, but worse before a 14 hour drive…

But the weather is nice, we spent the night at Albany, arrived at 2 am, and now it’s around 11 and after doing a figure 8 due to a crazy GPS and wasting another half an hour back tracking.

 

I will tell you more about it on the way back, we haven’t done it yet.

 

Ok where were we, oh yes, we just took our upgraded car from budget and headed out to the saba well, for Alla’s first look at the wedding venue. That day there was some wedding of celebs, it was a closed venue, so we just saw the entrance, Alla liked the placed right away, so she would still get her first look of the whole place on the wedding night itself.

 

So we headed home and met the family, had a very nice dinner, swapped gifts, kisses, hugs and memories. Usually on my first night back I would go later to a movie or something with friends, but this night we just crashed.

Next morning I went to work and alla had her session with the hair dresser guy, she did not like the suggested hair cut, but for now nothing happened. Later that day mom, moti and Alla picked me up from work and we headed south, we stopped at beer sheva to meet my brother Yaron and his family and after a good shwarma dinner (after eating shwarma for lunch), we drove to the Massada to see the opera nebuko on the foot hills of the mountains.

Never been to an opera before, and the jet leg was kicking in, we got slightly lost in Arad (by following wrong verbal directions this time) so we asked someone who said she was going to the show, and you can follow me, we did we there is no trust in the world. My mom and moti called their friends who were at this show the night before to check, they called a hotel and impersonated as guests (good example for the kids (us) in the back) to get directions, then they called another hotel and impersonated there as well, apparently we had booked the entire dead sea hotels area. Finally we got there and with some time to spare. We were all happily surprised by the organization and the facilities, they had lots of booths to server coffee, various cakes and refreshments, and the entire area was made to look like ancient times with pillars and actors dressed in toga’s or posing with spears.

 

As I said, this would be my first opera, and I didn’t even know what was the story about, so we got the booklet and had a quick review before the show. The weather was great and the remoteness of the place add to the feeling. The show began and luckily they had sub titles on the side screen so I could follow along the Italian singers. Not knowing Opera, I didn’t quite appreciate the music and the voices, but it was impressive. The matching lights on the mountains, the horses on stage, the camels, the floating torches (small balloons with actual fire in them , which is used to heat the gas to lift the thing up, it doesn’t stay up for much long but it’s pretty). There were 4 acts, alla completely dozed off in 2 of them and I struggled hard to stay awake and somehow managed.

We had some celebs with the ex for former prime minister Barak (surrounded by secret service detail) and Noam shalit, who impressively attempts to maintain a normal life style.

I would sum that I enjoyed the opera, I do need to understand more Italian. The organization continued on the exit and at 1-2 am we left and drove 2 hours to the air port to welcome melita and ben.

 

Melita is the daughter of my grandmother friend. They escaped both Hitler and Stalin and the experiences they had should be in a book of its own, even if they prefer not to speak about more things. So Melita is my moms sister by experience, they came from Venezuela to the wedding. We welcomed them and they went sleep and so did we, it was 5:30 am.

Before 8, I was already headed for work, tough day and I was so tired. I think Alla went shopping that day, he had a more relaxed time and good to relax having just graduated. I think Thursday nights we met my friends, I am almost positive about it (note to self, blog closer to the events).

 

On Friday we woke late, took honey for a walk to the super market, then began the rush, we went to do a test run for make up for alla , then to visit Blooma (alla’s mom good friend) in Tel Aviv who quickly got a reminder of my diverse taste in food (I couldn’t eat any thing she served, I settled for something small, don’t recall what it was) , then rushed to meet the DJ (we were 30 minutes late) and spent a couple of hours completing the songs list for the wedding. From there we went to rosh haaian to research possible wedding photos location. We found that Tel Afek is closed mid week after 4, so we drove around looking for another spot, the photographer offered an industrial area, and I was shocked (my mom the same) I like nature!. We stopped to eat a great meal at avazi. Then went home to change for the batchlore \rette party

 

 

More on that in the next one,

We are about to enter new hempshire…J

 

 

 

 

No comments: