Thursday, December 17, 2009

how to watch your ass in oklahoma

My previous tours of the ok state were far from ok- bad hotels, everything closed etc, this was different

 

Trip started with a broken reading light on the plane, so I couldn’t read and had to fall asleep (yes, I know tough), sure I could have moved since the plane was half full, but I was asleep by the time I realized that.

Oklahoma greeted me with a clear blue skies, not a cloud in sight but so cold…18f (-5c) brrrr…. Lucky the wind is almost none existent here, forgot the GPS so had to use these square pieces of paper with markings on them to get where I need to go. A later burger breakfast/early lunch later and I was at where I was.

A bit unusual but I didn’t have a hotel reservation. There is a motel in this town but even the locals told me not to stay there (after my previous OK experience, I took their advise), roaches don’t even go there, so I am staying in a minor city 30 minutes away.

 

Forgot to bring basic stuff (tooth brush, razor etc)- so had to go shopping at Walgreens. My purchase was 14$, I come to the register and the clerk tells me she has coupons for some of the stuff ( I love when they do that), she searches for a while and comes with a few coupons and from 14 the price comes to 7$!! (I just receive an email from Walgreens- I am on their junk mail list- but great timing) + a discount for 4$ on next purchase- one more purchase and they will end up paying me!. So my feeling about Oklahoma greatly improved. Regular 17 hour Work day (field day) ended and I was tired and hungry, lucky my hotel key card had a commercial on it for a pizza, so I ordered one. The delivery boy (a 40 year old hippy with voice like Nick Nolte) comes and says he loaded the pizza extra for me (got a big tip for saying that), though I am unsure with what exactly did he load it. Next day ended with a simple meal in a sports bar, it is refreshing to see open places here, I must have been really in the middle of nowhere in previous visits. also managed to find an open post office to submit home work. Even the common lovely odor of skunks (oh so many skunks) didn’t ruin my mood. I guess it’s because of a local channel I found on the radio with great songs. When ever in the area of ok city, listen to 92.5 on your FM dial.

I got some usual questions if life in Israel is like they see on CNN, a guarantee that god will take care of things at the promise land and more entertaining conversations.

The place I was at treats inmates and security is tight. You cannot bring a phone to the work place and my job requires 25/8 phone and email connection so had to go back and forth, most annoying.

So with inmates in the area came the inspiration for the title of today (don’t think I must explain it). Day 2 ended with a reduction of my movies black list (the I can’t believe I have never seen this movie before list). And today – first blood a.k.a Rambo 1 . I started watching the 2nd half of the movie then Rambo 2 and followed by the 1st part of Rambo 1 (lucky they repeated their marathon). Rambo 2 is better then 1, but check one movie off the list.

Hospital cafeteria is not always a bad thing, this statement does not apply here, lucky found a decent Mexican place for dinner.

After dinner I was feeling kind of not Flemish (not Belgium related) and had to clear my throat. Watching a college basketball game did not improve my horrible aim and I missed by much and hit the top of the truck of a red neck. Hitting a pickup truck here in Oklahoma is not wise and I scrammed out of there quickly making sure  I was not seen.

 

So an exciting week… boring yes, but a lot better than previous visits, time to go to sleep, returning home tomorrow J

 

 

 

 

No comments: