Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tel-aviv shook

Sorry, busy preparing for the games, no time to sleep (except 11 hours yesterday) or write

But except my guest blogger/ fiancée day at the market

Out with the Girls shopping!!

Tuesdays and Fridays Shook (market) ha carmel and Nachalat Binyamin come full of life. Its a feast for the eyes! (and for the nose and taste buds too). And it get pretty loud there - with all the merchants yelling the prices for their products. The merchants come with their freshest produce, which is laid out neatly for customers to see. Wherever we pass by nectarines or peaches you can smell them, and those fresh pitas and buns smell delicious too. If the smell didn't get you the color will. Or the merchant will directly start talking to you and convincing you to come taste their goods.

Since I really like peaches and nectarines I ended up getting a few. But my very 1st stop was at a burekas stand. I got a couple feta cheese burekas and one with chocolate inside. It was yammi.

I don't think I ever ate that much food as much as I ate those 10 days in Israel.

At the burekas stant I asked the lady to take a picture of the 3 of us. I made a grammatical mistake when asking in Hebrew and she right away knew I wasn't from there. But the picture turned out nice.

Moving through the market can be difficult at times since you have to fight people to get though. Most of them are not very nice, you might get kicked a couple times and unlike here (US) no will say excuse me. Its all part of the experience.

I went on to get a pair of sunglasses. 1st the guy said 30 shackles but we agreed that he will sell it to me for 25. I didn't have the exact change and gave him 30. Seeing the 30 he changed his mind and didn't want to give me the 5 shackles in change. Oh well, I guess I was my mistake. Always give exact change in the market.

The I got a nice white hat this time the transaction went smoothly and I got it for 5 shackles less. :)

After the carmel market we went on to the artist street called Nachalat binyamin. There, you see artists and craftsman sitting each at their table selling whatever they personally made. There were so many pretty and unique things there, one better than the next. I wanted something from almost each table but ended up getting those cute door signs for the girls and a salt and pepper holder in a shape of a bird made out of forks and spoons for us.

The afternoon ended with us having lunch at a nice, snobbish restaurant with air conditioning - which was much needed.

enjoy the pictures...

http://picasaweb.google.com/a.greenberg2010/TelAvivNachalatBinyamin?authkey=Gv1sRgCL6k9-SrrJL_SQ&feat=email#

 

 

No comments: