Wednesday, December 10, 2008

red, blue and green and blue

This blog entry was written last week  when a virus decided to kill my lap top-(didn’t like what I wrote) half of this entry was deleted

 

It took me 8 hours to get home yesterday, nothing but fun all the way

It started with a gentle 3 hours driving, an hour at the air port, another hour and a half on the way- till now nothing new.

Due to circumstances that I could have controlled- I had no car at the airport

There are normal ways of getting home- like a taxi- but 50$, I am too cheap for that- I prefer the long route

So it’s Cleveland public transport- which is known for it’s delays, malfunctions and poor quality

But I experimented- so I get my stuff and head to the red line which goes down town- I wait 15 minutes for the train and listen to a conversation about the train and bus system from a couple of passengers- and they….. end of save part

 

And now continues….written today

 

As I said- they discussed how bad it is- how the lines are always late, or don’t show up at all- makes you feel a lot better as you are waiting for a train

 

The train finally arrives- and a guy sits a sit next to me and speaks on his cell- I think this guy is from Nigeria – cause he kept saying the N word more the 2.3 times a sentence on average. You probably seen this type of thing in a movie- I know I have- but movies exaggerate- or so I though, now I think they underestimate. Italians with the F word, haa amateurs

Including prize winning sentences  “hey N, I aint messing with any N” and other gems

For the N American community’s defense- he was the only one speaking like that- so I guess he must come from Pittsburgh

Since I was next to the guy, I try not to let it show that I was noticing so I just focused on my book

 

So the train makes it down town.

And I verify for the 2nd time which line I must take- take the green they say- all the way

You know I don’t trust signs or GPS with no map of my own- and here I am in central Cleveland station and not a single map to be found- only names of stations which are street names- but streets here are so long- it does not help- so I had to rely on the kindness of strangers

And they were kind, wrong , but kind

So I go on the green line it is 9:15 and reach the last stop- look around me- and I sense that this is not where I wanted to be ( my stop has a mall around it…., which is unlike the nothingness here)- so I talk to the driver -  and I know now that I am close home – 3-4 Miles away- easy with a car

Hard when it is below 0, with strong winds----freeeeeeezing

Again people are kind- she takes me back half way- and gives me a courtesy ticket for the blue (yes blue) to take me where I need

So I freeze while waiting for the blue train at shaker square- which is lit with very nice lights

And few more minutes on the blue and I am 5 minutes from home

It’s after 10 pm and I am very cold- but 5 minutes away- who needs a hat, scarf and stuff like that- not me- only 5 minutes

Oh my god- that 5 minutes were colder then hell- I am walking home fast- my hand is aching from the cold, my ears are popsicles because of the strong wind- I cover them with my hands- and I am too cold  to open my bag and get a hat- just 4.3.2.1 more minutes

40 minutes later I am still defrosting my ears

 

So what have we learned

1.       Nothing probably- the cold prevented the flow of information

2.       Put hat before cold

3.       Don’t be cheap

4.       Scan your computer for viruses

5.       Nothing probably- the cold prevented the flow of information

 

  

 

No comments: