Monday, April 20, 2009

4 concerts and a record

Nothing like breaking your own records

After the soccer match last week(which we lost) and a very fun and busy day yesterday, I got up to my weekly run with my fallow fundraisers- sore and stiff-  sure I will do poorly today - but got passed the 1st mile and kept going  - road was mostly flat- but very minor up hills were tough – 80 minutes later I completed an old promise to my self- 10k on road. Yes I know still slow - but I feel great.

Still have to make it to 20… today I could have kept going so I am optimistic  – we will see what happens next week.

 

 

On Friday I went under cover

I got free tickets to the Cleveland house of blues for a concerts of cover bands

The 1st hour was a warm up session with a cover of Coldplay – I sang along the whole hour-  that was a pleasant surprise, cause I had no idea I knew so many of their songs. Then came the real thing- U2.

Actually the U2 incident which is a U2 tribute band- which sang u2 songs for 3 hours (bono can’t sing so much). I only knew half the songs, but I enjoyed the rest none the less.

The only problem- is my usual  curse of favorite missed song.

They sang for 3 hours- any song the band has- except my song!!!- I wrote about it before, that my favorite song is often not heard in live shows- it’s incredibly depressing and happened again.

Sting didn’t sing Russians, the scorpions didn’t sing under the same sun, the cure missed Friday I’m in love, Elton john didn’t sing one- I think I have a few more, but can’t recall those at the moment.

And I still can’t find a U2 cover band that sings, but I still haven’t found what I am looking for. How could they miss this song?

 

When I departed from Erez crossing on the way home after being discharged- I purposely chose that song to as my 1st civilian song-  I felt it was fitting- and it was for 10 years. When I came to Cleveland I made a decision to dump 2 things. The 1st was my travel worn black leather pouch  which was already not in fashion when I got it. And that song. ( I am way to sentimental) – I still love the song, it just doesn’t apply any more. I already have 2 songs instead of that one for this decade-  I may mentioned them before – but they require work so they still do not apply- hoping to get there.

 

Next Saturday we are going to an air supply concert- and they have about 10 songs I love- so this will be great- and I am already taking precautions- I am looking for a contact to the band(email or phone)- to make sure my favorite air supply song will not be missed (‘goodbye’)- while looking on line, I stumbled on a live recording made in Israel last year (no one told me) and where would they go, but to Ra’anana!!! And sing my song- YouTube has lots of live versions of the song in lots of shows- so that is a good sign.

 

The shows ended and I got home around 1am , woke up at 6:30 (I arranged for an international wakeup call) to start my busy Saturday.

It started with paint ball – ran, ducked, jumped , dove for a couple of hours – I was hit 4 times-twice the paint ball did not break so it didn’t count.

Another time- we played team vs. team elimination, so you have to hit everyone in the other team. Half my team got wacked pretty fast on this game-and I was fighting too guys, moving from one side of the cover to another trying to hold them off – I did that for long minutes (I didn’t look at the time- since I have no watch, and I wouldn’t anyhow- the adrenalin rush with paintball is incredible). At this time my whole team was killed with paint and I was the last (this was game 3, we lost 2 fast the previous games so nothing to tell on those). The rest of the other team began to join, and I was diving for more cover, in a semi muddy ground. I had good cover, but I couldn’t hit them as well. One guy ran into the open to charge, and I had him…almost- than ran out of bullets…..ahhhhhhhh…I quickly shouted that I was out, he didn’t think twice and fired few at me from an angle where there was no cover- so he hit me after I surrendered.

The next game was more exciting – this time I wasn’t the last to survive- but did manage to last a while – and held them off for long- at some point I went to face off one of them in the open- but he got me first straight in the eye (hit the mask…) and the paint covered the mask. So 4 games, 2 hits , 0 kills- and loads of fun. Now I have only 1 blue mark on my thigh- which is strange, since no one hit me in the thigh- so not sure where that came from- maybe from diving for cover. Some of us left early- the rest remained- and we continued to orienteering. This is an event I organized as a fund raiser. 24 folks came with me, some went on their own- but 14 followed me to the woods. I don’t know why, but the orienteering here is a lot easier than Israel. This was supposed to be a difficult course, but it was easy- most of the people who came never done orienteering before- so I kind of let everyone lead from one point to the next, teaching them, and letting them teach the next one. Most of them did fine, so that was good.  Nature provided drumming sounds, as wood peckers kept pounding on trees. You hear the sounds so clear, but it echoes through the forest, and it is difficult to spot the source. But I got lucky and have a great wood pecker photo.

 

After the orienteering, we went to lunch as about 10 people  went along for the scavenger hunt…which I will tell you all about it the next time…. Waking up in 6 hrs…and yes , I still have to share on Passover, Niagara and snake food…. Hoping to close the blogging gap tomorrow

 

Have a great week

 

 

 

 

No comments: