Wednesday, April 1, 2009

there shouldn't be more than 0 ways to skin a cat

Just finished the kite runner. I have in on my shelf in Hebrew, another in English, but I ended up reading it with the audio book. This book was narrator by the writer (usually they have professional narrators), not sure if the author adds value or not. My main problem with the book is the endless amount of flashbacks, he keeps repeating previous events that occurred that a few minutes before (of reading time) and some parts were re re re repeated. As I was saying not long ago, I just finished the kite runner and the book is good a very sad and interesting story, in which I detected parts of what would come ahead. I have good instincts on the stories development, but not always correct. The kite runner which I have just finished , it doesn’t matter if true or not. These are the things that happen in the world even today. Though it is April 1st now, but that is no joke.

The day went by with no jokes other than 1 email which was to obvious to be anymore then a joke- a good joke is slightly overdoing- when you over over do… the joke will fail.

On that topic, since I just finished the kite runner- I am making kneidalach soup for Passover- I made them before, in a powder soup, but never made the actual chicken soup. They say it’s easy- we’ll see and write about it in details in due time. I need to make another dish , but have not decided what  to make yet.

So the kite book which was read by me, I can’t give it high ratings- probably because the guy is a jerk. The story is interesting, but it can’t get high marks for being tragic. I say 7.8 on the Taliban scale. The book lost point on the jerkiness of the author. Lucky it was from the library- so free… but sh.t , I do have the book in Hebrew and English…

I have seen 2 fantasy movies lately- the “seeker” , in England- no relation to harry potter- please seek another movie to see. And the spider wick chronicles which was cute- fun to go with kids.

And now I have a problem. Since I just finished the kite runner- I have a choice between 2 audio books- of authors I have previously read and enjoyed tremendously

The author of Shogun- probably my 1st ever 10 for a book and the author of shopaholic…  the shogun guy-  I have read all of his books that I knew of (this one is new) and enjoyed them all. I enjoy them because I can easily imagine the happenings and some of them took place in medieval Japan and later areas- he has a series of 4 books – loosely related  - each book is about 50-100 years after the previous, well worth the read- the last book I read from Garber was  whirl wind- which describes the some foreigners fleeing from Iran when the shah regime ended in 1979. But it is not a sad book like another book I just read about Afghanistan. The 2nd book- shopaholic was great – because the character is great, and it’s the one book I can’t predict what the character will do- being too crazy- and though I am somewhat crazy myself, I guess not enough- in the last book by the author- it was easy to predict the end- but the way the character got there- OMG- never would have guessed it- but as the old saying goes “there is more than……….cat”. no there isn’t – I heard it again today in a conference call- with people whom I should be making this type of comments around- but this is so horrible- who makes these sentences- they should be skinned!!!.so the decision fell on the shogun writer in the car, and the shopaholic at home. I guess in a week or two I will do another book report.

I am like 20 pages away from finishing an actual book- the kind you take to bed, with pages you can fold (better leave a marker, no need to ruin the book)- Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance which starts in an interesting way from chatackua lake – a lake I drove by several times but never actually went in- all the driving and motorcycle parts are nice and interesting, but then he gets to metaphysics crap- and jumps from 1 theory to another.

The book is a philosophy classic- but all the praises are philosophers themselves- and I will use wards from the text to describe it. Quality is not something to be taught, it is something we know- we all recognize what quality and what not, and since philosophers praise it, because they have been thought to think in a certain way, but Pedros (the main character) himself would say the book is not of quality – the bike parts are, the philosophy not. Maybe I didn’t click with the book since the 2 days I rode a scooter in the past ended in accidents( minor…but still not for me), or that I didn’t understand the philosophy but that is now over with a 6 on the quality charts. I guess it’s easier to praise a book you don’t understand, but I walk the page less read.

Don’t worry, this book is (or was) a world best seller, much like the kite runner- so they are doing just fine.

 

A while back I sent photos of rock carving, and one of the carvings was my grandmothers name – nettie – spelled like they used to in Austria- my grand mom was excited about it , so I dug around and found out that t- the rock carving are from 1944- and Nettie(1863-1945)  was the wife of Nobel Stewart, a sculpture and the owner of the lands to the east of the park, he was HER, 3rd husband (…want to read more- click on Nettie or on this Nettie.

 

I had a date with a hot piece of meat the other day, just before I finished listning to abook about a kite- I went to the supermarket to make dinner and I dropped a piece of meat to the frying pan andit sprayed- now I have marking, you would think was from abuse on my arm- this too shall pass. The burgers were good by the way….

Racer is sensitive to lactose , she needs the lactated stuff. I tried it, doesn’t taste like milk at all, not bad just different, but I like choclate milk- and I wanted to try something we can drink together- so I decided to sacrify my taste buds and drink a choclate drink made from rice…behhhh I was thinking…. Rice doesn’t belong in a drink..it should be covered in houmus and placed in a pita. Or butter, ur soy sauce… or fried… or …. But drink…behhh. In thailand they gave me tea from rice- which wasn’t good , not enough suger. But I was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice- and with great caution I brought a watery dirty pale brown liquid to my lips and sipped slowly…

Seconds later I took a gulp, don’t get me wrong- it is not as good as choclate milk, but it is drinkable… I also bought an almond rice drink, but have not tried that yet.

 

A few months ago , I invented the cheeseless cheesesteak sandwich – and the other day, while eating the burgers that burned me, I invented another dish by accident.

I cooked the burgers, and cooked sunny side up eggs- which came out perfect, oozing just right without dripping- in whole wheat burger buns and the standard sacues.

The 1st bun had everything, I finished my 2nd- and looked at the number of burgers on the plate (2 were left, I only made 2, but cut them in half, so 4 halves for us both). I ate 1 before, Alla was enjoying hers, there were 2 left, and I just finished the 2nd bun- there was something wrong with the math. I looked at the plate, then my plate, and backto the burgers plate and realized I had just invented the burgerless sunny side up hamburger sandwich (on a whole with bun) – it was good- but it may have been better with rice….

 

The running is going well

I participated in a 5k race on Saturday- and for the 1st time in recorded history- I finished 5k non stop on road and in a race. The road is harder then on the machine, but the race part is a lot more difficult- mentaly – I am more tierd even before the race. I have no reason to be, since I suck at running, I obviously never going to win a long distance race- so why am I nervous- I have no idea, I just am. So finishing the race was an important goal for me.

I started the race kinjd of infront- like 10 meters behind the leaders when they launched the race- that distance quickly changed- first the fast runner passed me by, then the less shaped runners and the joke went on as people of all ages, both young and old- jogged by me. Moms with strollers… , dads running with their kids- everyone- I heard later that it took some of them a minute to run before! They reached the start line- but a short few minutes it took for all ofthem to pass. When I hit the 2 mile marker I started seeing people running the other way- I knew it was a loop so it was strange- it turned out that they had finished, ate, got refreshed and ran back home, in time for me to finish 2/3rds of the race.

For a while there was a little girl kept passing me, and running back to her family, back and forth with no effort. But the main thing is a goal has been reached- I should look at my own 2 feet.

When I finished the non stop race (not last… but way in the back) the bananas were already gone (they hand out fruits after these events), but I had a very sweat pair and an apple, also a fruit called a hot dog.after that I went to the 1st orienteering event of the season- it was in a campus in akron- 2 other people came with me this time- I showed them how to and let them navigate- while I,did the leg work and ran to catch the checkpoints (I usualy navigate, and send others to run…) so it was 6 ks more that very day.

On Sunday- I had my weekly run with my co fund raisers- we were supposed to run 50 minutes- I found an ex army guy who runs very slow (my pace) and we ran 4.3 miles on road- which is now my new long distance record andlongest time- 6.9k is now my record to beat- and though the yearly ra’annana race already took place- I am keeping up with my promise this year. The run ended with a sad note as someone broke into a runner’s car and stole the wallet (the basterd ran away).

Yesterday I led 20 people to the metro parks for another mid week hike- regular pace- nice parks, and I saw 3 racoons real close , on a tree- I saw them brifely before, passing fast, but this time it was close- I had no camera, but have a memory.

Also on the run on Sunday- I saw lots of turkey vultures- I went twice to hike specificly for them, but managed to get a better look on a random run. This is some of the reasons I enjoy living here- the woods are a part of the city- so much wild life, so close.

The fund raising goes slow- with 23% raised- it gets harder, but I still have time- so if you wanjt to help – all you have to do is tell all your friends….

 

Cheers and don’t forget…I just finished the kite runner. It was a bokk that had many flashback, and tels the story of an afgan…..

Happy april’s fools day and I wish the result of todays game had been a joke- sad sad sad…

No comments: