Sunday, September 21, 2008

it's not the butter ,it's the extra butter

So after leaving Mississippi- I missed “talk like a pirate day”- apparently there is such a thing and I didn’t know till after- nobody is telling me about the interesting things

I could have RRRRRR…. All day, well next year

So I needed a book- since mine was finished- and the name Robert Harris was familiar so I bought it- I didn’t remember till minutes later that the last book I finished (earlier that day!) was by Robert Harris- only in Hebrew – so I failed to connect the names- must be the jet leg (1 hour difference)

So on Saturday morning after seeing what the storm did to my apartment (5 leaves managed to sneak in the open window) and seeing that the power was fully restored- we went backpacking

Back packing is basically a hike- with camp- so you carry your tent and stuff on you and as Amit is my witness – in never liked carrying a back pack- I am a pouch kind of guy- but too much stuff for a pouch forced me carry. The hike was 3 hours away – 12 of us went there through small roads- small towns with nothing to do, and great yellow fields of Soy (the color is the only good thing about them)- photos attached- we made it to the hike on time after running in to a forest ranger lady who was very bored and told us about every possible hike in the area, and every road on the map(and she had a detailed map). The hike wasn’t long- 6 miles to the camp site- and 6 miles back through another road the following morning- through a fir forest before the fall- all green.

We made it to the camp on a very nice lake which is actually a reservoir (what a concept- blocking the water in- so you can drink them in times of dry years- someone should tell that to the Knesset!!!)- but looks like any other lake- and we swam to the other bank- the water were cold but not too cold- and very refreshing after a hike. The purpose of this trip was apple pie, the camp was in an apple orchard- with real apples- not like store bought, they were smaller , sour and filled with spot (no pesticides) – like all natural Orchard apples- so we picked them- and these guys are equipped- brought pie crust and pie Oven- and made fresh apple pie- I thought I wouldn’t enjoy it since I never liked apple strudel – but Yammi! With lots of caramel- and the group were very organized- one guy made cheese fondue, another made beef stew, others made Smores ( you all had roasted marshmallow before- but this is one step up- you roast the marshmallow and put it in 2 pieces of chocolate, and the outer shell is Graham cracker (like petty bar)- the marshmallow melts the chocolate and the result- lots of calories

There were Perogy  which I was told were polish- I am half polish and never heard of them- must be from another side of Poland, and roasted sausages on a stick- I managed to kill two of them by dropping them to the fire- 3rd time was lucky. And some other good stuff. And of course alcohol- wine (not for me), but Banana schnapps – probably the only drink I enjoy other than  some blue kirisao with sprite (a liquor weaker than root beer). I tried some cherry rum- strong stuff (strong cherry, not rum). I brought nuttela!

So we set by the fire and the night passed, with beautiful stars, no bears and no rain, morning brought us breakfast burritos and left over pies and we hiked up hill back.

The only wild life we saw were chipmunks which are very cute, and an ugly spider who crawled on me when I woke up. I don’t know why we say ugly spider- can we ever consider a spider attractive? Not unless it’s a cartoon, James (when a man loves a woman), or a car- but the animal will remain ugly.

 

2 days before I thought I lost my wallet- I didn’t – but I thought I did- I had lots of cash, credit cards- the usual but because of the hike was in a natural park- my thought were on the national park pass which will save me 10$- but couldn’t care less about the other stuff. Typical of me.

Before we left Mississippi we stopped for a quick bite at Popeye’s- not the cartoon (though I have started to eat spinach leaves recently) – it’s a chicken place like KFC but better- they have this biscuit – with so much butter…so good.- it’s good that there is not branch here.

 

Does anyone know what is a dinor? Well a dinor is a north west Pennsylvania diner and no one knows where the name came from- but more than one place is spelled like that.

 

Today I got a glimpse of days to come- I saw frozen river- a movie which will probably not appear in the cinemateque – cold depressing but good- with no one you (or me) know.

But so far the days are still hot- sun still shines and another hike is coming up on Tuesday…

 

Next week is a full 5 days week in the office- I didn’t have such a week for a long time and it’s much appreciated (though some one will get me on some flight tomorrow…)

 

p.s yes there is a guy in a kilt

 

No comments: