Thursday, October 16, 2008

how to board a plane

Well, boarding a plane seems simple, enough – people do it every day- but sometimes it's complicated- and it start the night before…

We finished work between 6-7 and hurried to see the ocean again before the sun sets- and we barely made it. the sun has set but the light was good enough for lighthouse by the ocean photos and the bay next to us- no seals on this beach, but lots and lots of driftwood (piles and piles of trees) washed ashore.
Darkness creeps in quickly so we leave this park (there are 5 state park within 10 minutes of this place), it's already close to 8- and we hurry since the flight are next morning and a long drive is ahead of us.
So this night it's Mexican- I order 2 burritos -1 shredded beef and 1 ground beef- there must be a difference – if there wasn't- it wouldn't be on the menu! and I get a huge burrito topped with cholesterol shaped cheese- and ground beef- I start working on it- and it doesn't turn into shredded beef - I thought they merged the burritos- but not, that was only one. Luckily they hadn't brought the other one- so the mystery of what is better- ground or shredded will never be solved.

So it's close to 9 pm and we check out of our hotel- since we are due to leave at 2 am- and don't want to wake the staff that late- it is always fun to get a wakeup call for 1:40 am
I pack my bags, and look for my phone which of course is not there- probably forgot it in the car(I hoped)- so i watch half an episode of some sitcom and fell asleep.

An annoying alarm was triggered at 1:40- I barely open my eyes and take a couple of minutes to understand who is bugging me to wake up, take a quick shower and head out the door.
My flight is in 3:40 hours, it takes 2.5-3 hours to get there- so cutting it a bit close.

The problem was that I couldn't speed the normal speed limit (10 above whatever the signs say- as normal) because of the last ticket- I am extra slow and manage to piss some truckers which are the only other cars on the road- and something that happens only when you are late- road work- blocking the entire road- so we wait a few minutes- and my ticketless colleague takes the wheel- after the reopen the road block – drives way faster than I did coming in- but of course now the cops are sleeping. On talk on the road while looking for the sasquatch- also known as BigFoot – he (or she) is from these woods- but not rarely seen-we do manage to see a deer on the side of the road (Still alive, but not for long if he would remain near the road) .
We make it to the airport and hour and 15 minutes prior to the flight- well on time- nothing can go wrong , yeh right

I get to the counter and hand my card to the agent- after the automatic machine wouldn't read it- automation never works - and I am on her list, it is booked( I have the booking number, and all the trimmings) but the ticket is not Eticket or something- and though I paid- they can't get me on the plane- so we start calling people – and before 5 am here is still before 8 on Cleveland time- so offices are closed- our night travel agencies- tells me what has to be done (someone should push a button somewhere)- and I should wait for the offices to open in 10 minutes- and the cut off time approaches(after that they don't accept passengers)- the office doesn't open on time- and my cut off time approaches- time appear to be moving faster than ever- and finally I get them and they tell me the same- push something somewhere- so they try to push- and for some reason they can't get it done, boarding has begun and the cut off time expired and united leaves without me- but luckily there is another flight to somewhere else with the same final destination- to arrive 18 minutes later- so they start working on that.
Time moves faster still – and the cut off time for the 2nd flight approaches- 3 minutes till time they say they can't do it- credit card issues (not mine) so I give them mine quickly and standing on the counter next to the agent- and she is ready to swipe- with 30 seconds to spare… (not kidding- I looked at the agents watch- 30 seconds) the approval gets through and I get my boarding pass

And of course I have to check the bag- why- I don't pack much- but I have a tool set- not even 'achmed the dead terrorist' (watch youtube) can't do nothing with an Allen set- have you ever tried working with them?- but regulations are regulations and I must check my bag (and pay 15$ extra for the first bag- damn united airlines)

So I hurry to security- come to the gate- and no one is there- but that's ok- it's a small airport and they always board late- but I make it on time.

The plane here is tiny- not the baby plane from Nebraska- this is a 3 year old infant
I get the 1st row which is surprising since it is usually booked- but then I see why- it's an exit seat tighter than any seat I was ever on- I have to seat sideways (no leg room) and avoid the cock pick door which opens for the stewardess every few minutes.
And my back pack is small- but still no room
So I seat my back pack on the seat next to me- and make sure the seat belt is fastened.
Then the stewardess tells me that according to regulations- I can place him on the inside seat- so me and the passenger (Bag) next to me switch seats and again I tie him- he can't do anything himself.
So she says- no, the straps (on the bag) have to be outside of the belt- "oh" I said and follow instructions- I am obedient sometimes.
So everyone is in their seats- all belts are fastened and I fall asleep right away
Too bed this is a 30 minute flight…
And now I am in connection in Portland airport ready to board again!!!

So enjoy nice ocean views both sunrise and sunset

No comments: