Wednesday, October 15, 2008

on seals and sealed vegetables

Back in lalaland I used to have a program that change screenshots every day- beautiful shots of animals and views from around the world- a group of them were from Oregon- they must have a photographer close by- so Oregon  was on my list for a long time. And I am here now only a few hours away from a park I am dying to go – crater lake national park, and that will have to be delayed- that place looks very close on the map to the Oregon coast, but with the mountains on the way its 5 hours drive and a road blocked by snowL so I will have to come back.

It’s a bit chilly here but not much and the locals say it’s the best weather they had in a while-so good.

 

We walked on the bay and the mist covers the nearby light house, kids fishing for crabs, seagulls are flying and seals are swimming around- all in poor quality on film since they just stick their head out and prefer to leave their bodies underwater.

 

I am at the cranberry capital of Oregon- so it was no surprise that they server cranberry bread for breakfast- that and nothing else. Cranberry bread is like honey cake, with nuts and cranberries- it would be better in my opinion without the cranberries- which are only good with vodka or zombies (a song by the cranberries)

 

Today I tried another local thing- the twice baked potato- the dish is simple- you take a potato, bake it- open it and take the stuff out, add butter, cheese, cream, meat, mash it- put it back in the potato and  bake again –thus twice baked- the result was not bad at all- although I prefer then name rebaked potato.

But after I tried in and liked it I asked the waitress what was inside- and she gave me the above description with an unwanted bonus.

Apparently inside sat the most hated vegetable of them all- which looks like a cucumber, but does not smell or taste like a cucumber- it was zucchini- and somehow is wasn’t thrown away

I don’t understand myself-  must be the jet leg

 

On Sunday I had a scheduling problem- had an afternoon flight and a beach volley ball game a few hours before- the problem is how to play, go home and wash off the sticky sand- and make the flight- that was impossible- since I can’t pass on beach volleyball and I couldn’t miss the flight- something had to change. So after 2 hours of beach volley ball- I took a shower in the lake- it’s cold!!! But refreshing, and went to the airport after changing clothes in the parking lot

 

Oh- passed on the way in salt lake city—amazing views of snowy mountains from the air- now a new place on the list.

 

And a tip- if you drive through Reedsport, Oregon- don’t speed- there is a permanent trap there- and all the locals know it - I wish I knew that before I go a ticket

Never had a speeding ticket in Israel- and this is my 2nd here…  

another  day here , than the windy city  than will see….

 

Hapy suckut

 

No comments: